Project Iron Mommy: Month 13
Miles Run: 659.62
Longest Run: 20 Miles

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Choosing The Race

One of the many things I think about while out running is which "big" race to train for next.  My goals for next year include running a marathon and that is the race that currently has my "dream big" wheels turning.  There are always a lot of issues to consider when picking a race, but since having kids that list of issues has only gotten bigger and more complex.  Here are some of my criteria:

1. There are people who aim to run a marathon in all 50 states so they can join the 50 States Marathon Club.  My husband (also a marathoner) and I realized a while back that neither of us would likely ever join that club so we (very) jokingly set out a goal to do the 50 between the two of us.  We have a map downstairs with push pins to keep track of our big races and specifically our marathons.  He's completed six marathons and I've done one, the Detroit Marathon here in Michigan.  (Sidenote: I was extremely irritated with him when he chose to do his third or fourth marathon in Michigan also... it pretty much cancels out my ONE contribution!  Of course, he also did DC so that didn't help us much, either.)  So ideally, my next race will be somewhere other than Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, DC, or Tennessee.

2. I honestly don't see myself training for a lot of marathons.  If I could just go out and run one, that'd be one thing- but the training is an enormous commitment and last time I ended up injured three weeks before the race.  That kind of let down is emotionally crushing.  So, if I'm going to put in all that time then I want my race to be a party.  None of these one hundred runners gathered in a field with a stop watch type of deals for me... I want balloons, bands, spectators, a tear-jerking finish line and a massive spread of food and drink at the post race area (beer is a big bonus).   I will include my desire for a nice race shirt and impressive medal here.

3.  I've got family and friends all over the country who I almost never get to see, so if I'm going to travel to a race, I really love to combine it with seeing someone while I'm there.  Ideally, I'd get to stay with that person and then not need to pay for hotel, etc.  But that's not the biggest deal- I just like to be able to combine a race with quality time to make it feel like I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck.  I've combined family/friends with a race in DC (actually, my husband was racing there), Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, Illinois, and a bunch in Indiana (where my parents live).

4. Now, with little ones in tow, I'm torn over searching for a family friendly race or finding a location I can get in and out to with little fuss and thus make traveling alone quick and easy.  Undecided on this one.  Mara will be just under a year so I may or may not still be nursing.  This is a big question mark.

5. Weather- I don't like hot.  Not at all.

6. Geography- I love mountains, but not so much to run up.

I think that's my list, unless I think of some more on my next run.  Keeping in mind a May-June time frame what races would you suggest?  What criteria goes on your list when choosing an event?

3 comments:

  1. Big Sur in Cali is a bucket list marathon. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuts, I was getting excited thinking Twin Cities totally fit the bill until you got to the end- it's at the beginning of October. Phooey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You also have family in California and Oregon

    ReplyDelete