Project Iron Mommy: Month 13
Miles Run: 659.62
Longest Run: 20 Miles

Monday, August 29, 2011

Making Progress

I'm three-fourths of the way through my first month back to athlete status and (as of tomorrow) eight weeks post-partum.  I think I'm doing remarkably well getting out for my runs.  I've run three times a week for three weeks, not missing a single run.  As my former triathlon coach or my husband would tell you, that is pretty great for me.  I'm usually really quick to find an excuse (see sidebar for starters) and skip a run for later or next time.  With all my imagined "coaches" out there cheering me on, it feels much less attractive to skip.  It is also much easier to get out the door when I'm "only" running a mile or two.  What is ten or twenty minutes?

Another major incentive is just getting a shower!  If my husband is home, I get his blessing for running and a shower afterwards while he entertains & juggles the two kids.  If he isn't home, I take Mara to the YMCA and get a run and a shower while the very capable Y child care staff watch my daughter.  She's at a really great age for this.  She still doesn't have an established schedule to mess up, she has basically no opinion on where she spends her time or (for the most part) who she spends it with (especially if whoever that is doesn't put her down), and she's still little enough that the ladies at the Y basically fight over her, making my departure to run almost entirely guilt free!  Because I use so little of my alloted two hours of child care, I can then take as long as I'd like in the shower!

So, reviewing the goals, I have been running three times a week (check), am well on my way to 5k distance by the end of the month (check), and am so far enjoying it (check) am injury free (check), and have been going to the Y with Mara regularly (check).  I still have only attempted Yoga with Mara once (boo) and I tried doing my stretch/strengthening workout with Oren for the first time on Saturday (more!).  These are very, very tricky as they depend on me coordinating with the totally unpredictable moods of my kiddos.  I'll work more on it though!  Oren trying to do leg lifts and balance exercises was hilarious!  Photos next time, I promise.

And the big news... I've registered for a 5k road race!  The Run Wild for the Zoo race that starts and ends outside the Detroit Zoo, one of our favorite places to go with the family.  I like the thought of supporting such a great organization and love the thought of hanging out with my cheerleaders afterwards.  Logistically, it was a good pick in that I already know how to get there so there will be no race morning stress with directions or parking.  As I've mentioned, it will also be easy to incorporate my family into the race morning if they choose to do so.  As the time gets nearer, I will just have to coordinate with Mara on whether she'll be eating before/after at the zoo or be having a bottle and I'll have to pump somewhere.  Training and racing is a bit more tricky when nursing.

Next up?  As I finish the next week of my first month back and the following couple of runs up to my race, I will be considering other races.  We've gotten leaflets for two different Halloween runs on different weekends.  We also want to do the downtown Detroit Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.  The big question in my mind is my future marathon.  Which race?  I look forward to presenting my thoughts on that one soon.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing so very well! Maybe I can get back too with you as my inspiration. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete