Project Iron Mommy: Month 13
Miles Run: 659.62
Longest Run: 20 Miles

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Celebrating the Milestones

Miles Run Today: 1.5

I very clearly remember the first time I ran ten miles.  I was less than a year out of college and living in downtown Chicago right off of Lakeshore Drive.  I woke up early to run because it was hot and muggy and wanted to get in the double digit run as part of my spring training for my first half marathon (the Indianapolis Mini Marathon which I did with my mom).  This was also the spring I started dating my future husband, which makes it just over ten years ago.

Wow.

Back to the run.  I ran in the early morning sun up and down the lake shore.  It was hot but peaceful.  There were many other runners out but we were all running our own paces and I was alone.  I rarely run with music so it was just me and my thoughts.  When I was done, I celebrated and cooled down by taking off my socks and shoes and wading right into Lake Michigan to swim (I lived off the Ohio Street Beach).  It was amazing and refreshing and I was done with TEN MILES before I normally would have even gotten out of bed (it was a Saturday).  Then I walked home dripping wet and smiled at the doorman like I was up to something.  That was a great, great run.  Probably one of my favorites.

Monday I ran three miles.  And it felt a lot harder, in some respects.  First of all, it was a lot harder to find a half hour to run!  I had originally planned to do the run on Saturday evening.  It had been extremely hot and muggy all day so I thought I'd run after Oren went to bed.  By the time I got out, there was a severe thunderstorm watch for the entire area and black clouds looming.  I love thunderstorms and the radar made the storm look further away so I took off.  However, as I ran my first mile, I became increasingly nervous about the lightening.  I took a few shortcuts and as I neared my house actually cut through some yards to stay close to houses and not out in the open.  I was more than a bit freaked by the time I jumped back through my door to warm down.  The run was probably just short of two miles but on the other hand, probably my fastest run this summer!

On Labor Day I woke up tired but determined to get my three miles done.  Thankfully, it was cool outside.  Instead of taking a nap, when Oren fell asleep for his nap I changed clothes and headed straight out the door.  It wasn't nearly as peaceful or enjoyable a run as that ten miler had been.  I was a touch overdressed and I'm very clearly still out of shape.  My hips still feel very loose and I really have to focus on my posture.  But I got it done.  I didn't wear a watch or a GPS, but I know the course and it was three miles.

So there!  Check mark.  And I'm happy to have gotten back to three.  My 5k is in a week an a half so that's when I'll officially meet my first distance goal.  Between now and then, I'll start planning what I'm going to wear for the race... oh, and keep on running.

2 comments:

  1. What you are going to wear is very important :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought my doing the Ole Roll would lead to this!

    ReplyDelete