Project Iron Mommy: Month 13
Miles Run: 659.62
Longest Run: 20 Miles

Monday, August 8, 2011

Get Set...!

This is the week I start working out again.  I haven't addressed how specifically that is going to happen (what with the nursing every two hours and the two kids and the traveling hubby...) but I am starting to get my tool kit ready.

Running Shoes - Ordered my new Asics GT 2160s in bright orange and blue from Zappos.com today.

Nursing - Dusted off my Medela Pump in Style and filled my first bottle last night.  Necessary evil.

Incentive of the week - Bought a brand new dark teal Champion tank top at Target today.

There's nothing worse than your running clothes being too small so I took the precaution of buying a large and I will avoid even trying on my old stuff until I feel better about my body shape.  I had been feeling fairly okay to good about quickly I've returned to "normal" this summer.  That feeling lasted until this Saturday when I was trying to find some clothing to wear for our family photo.  Ugh.  Nothing I have been wearing since giving birth gets above "sweat pants" level on the dressy scale.  I tried on a pile of clothing hoping I could make something work but it was all too tight.   I learned two lessons during this process:

1. When you've lost all your baby weight the first time around but are still considering getting pregnant again- do not let that body confidence move you to get rid of all your larger clothing!  Keep it around in a box or something.  That way, when you get pregnant again and return to post-partum marshmallow shape, you'll have something left to wear without having to go shopping.

2.  Do not wait until the last minute to buy new clothing for a special occasion.  The result- massive stress, disheartening lack of possibilities, and a return home from shopping with nothing but chocolate- is not pretty.

My shopping frustration on Saturday was definitely compounded by the fact that all the stores have just switched to fall wardrobes and there was approximately NADA left for summer outfits.  It was just an awful experience and I came home completely miserable and then took it out on my dear husband.  Whoops.  Needless to say when I woke up I magically found something that would work (a non-maternity shirt that I'd worn through most of my pregnancy so managed to stretch out a bit and a denim skirt that has always been a bit loose... though not anymore).  The positive of this lesson is that I now have even more incentive to get out there and move this week.

Month 1 Goals:
a) Take it easy- This may seem ironic considering I am starting to work out from a level of total slothy-ness (for my standards, anyway).  In fact, taking it easy will be critical to avoid great disappointment.  Reality is that I did just give birth six weeks ago and am still recovering.  Another reality is that my breasts are very much full and tender (read: not super comfy when bouncing).  Finally- I haven't run or swum in well over eight months!  I know I'm going to feel like going right out and running five miles but this first month my goal will be to slowly work back up to a 5k (3.1 miles).

b) Make it fun- It is hard for me to believe that I completed a half ironman distance triathlon less than a year ago, but it is true!  After the race, I had absolutely NO desire to run or swim at all.  I think at this point I'm ready to go again, but I'm still going to aim to make my work outs seem more like play and relaxation than training.  My first run I'm hoping to drive up to one of my favorite trails even though I'll only be shooting to run a mile.  Normally this would be too far to go for such a short run, but it will be nice to be back out in the trees and my legs will appreciate not starting back on concrete right away.  Hopefully this will help me maintain my interest.

c)  Re-build- I'm totally out of shape.  I don't want to get injured.  In order to complement my running and swimming at this point I'm going to supplement with some yoga & stretching.  I got a cute book from a friend called Baby Om that lays out three levels of yoga I can do with Mara.  Should be interesting!  I'm also going to dig out my stretches and strengthening moves I got from a Physical Therapist when I was having ITB issues last spring.  One reason I had issues is from changes in my hip/pelvic structure from childbirth.  I expect to have the same issues this time around, better to prevent!

I think I'm ready to tackle this beast!  I'm hoping to get out for my run Wednesday evening, watch for an update!


1 comment:

  1. I'll be cheering you on from here. Smile & smell the fresh air. Listen to the birds. Feel Free. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete