Project Iron Mommy: Month 13
Miles Run: 659.62
Longest Run: 20 Miles

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year and A New Race, A New Plan

Miles Run Today: 2.5

Yes, it is a new year and a new month and no, I am still not running regularly. I'm lucky if I get out once a week and didn't run at all for the two weeks surrounding Christmas. I was pleased to get new warm running clothing from Tom for Christmas (as requested) and extra happy to get a chance to run while visiting my parents- on the trail I used when I trained for the Detroit Marathon five years (a million years?) ago. But no, no routine yet.

I did crank up the stakes though, by registering for the Martian Half-Marathon on April 14. I will be completing this race in 14 weeks! Plenty of time to train for it if I start now. Which I shall. Here's my plan:

Half Marathon Training Schedule: Novice 2

Week

Sun

Mon

Tues

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

1 (1/22)

Rest

cross

3 m run

3 m run

3 m run

Rest

4 m run

2

Rest

cross

3 m run

3 m pace

3 m run

Rest

5 m run

3

Rest

cross

3 m run

4 m run

3 m run

Rest

6 m run

4

Rest

cross

3 m run

4 m pace

3 m run

Rest

7 m run

5

Rest

cross

3 m run

4 m run

3 m run

Rest

8 m run

6

Rest

cross

3 m run

4m pace

3 m run

Rest

5-K Race

7

Rest

cross

3 m run

5 m run

3 m run

Rest

9 m run

8

Rest

cross

3 m run

5 m pace

3 m run

Rest

10 m run

9

Rest

cross

3 m run

5 m run

3 m run

Rest

10-K Race

10

Rest

cross

3 m run

5 m pace

3 m run

Rest

11 m run

11

Rest

cross

3 m run

5 m run

3 m run

Rest

12 m run

12 (4/14)

Rest

cross

3 m run

2 m pace

2 m run

Rest

half

This is the Novice 2 Half Marathon plan created by Hal Higdon, which I've tweaked to fit my schedule. I've had tons of success training with Mr. Higdon's plans from 5k up through the full enchilada. (Sidenote: I actually met him at the Chicago Marathon Expo back when I lived there and had my photo taken with him!) This may sound negative, but I am certain I won't get in all these workouts- particularly the midweek runs. But, I've positioned the workouts so that it is theoretically do-able (insert God laughing with me, not at me). Kid #1 is at day care on Mondays and Wednesdays, so I can do my crosstraining on Mondays. I imagine swimming for days I get to the Y, biking when I don't. Both will require some prep- I currently have no goggles (gasp!) and my bike has a punctured tire, is resting in the laundry room with one wheel off and is covered in (a lot) of dust. It needs to get put back on the stationary trainer and receive some TLC. Maybe I'll use Netflix as an incentive- I can finally watch Glee! Then my mid-week long run I will do at the Y on Wednesdays. I purposely split up the weekend stuff so that I would only have one workout during Sat/Sun. That way I can just aim to get it done on the day that works for us and won't have another workout to juggle or more time to spend apart from the family.

I think this should work! The good news is that since this is a 12 week plan and I have 14 weeks till race day, I have two weeks to "practice" this schedule and get myself into a groove.

Ready, set, go!

2 comments:

  1. Yay you, and Yay me! Guess what, my dear, I am signing up for this too! I am so seriously out of shape but decided it was time to make a commitment. If I manage to hobble across the finish line, it will be a success.

    Will channel your enthusiasm and try to send you some of mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, indeed! I look forward to seeing you there Andrea!!

    ReplyDelete